It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Have you started thinking about gift-giving? Whether you’re like me and started thinking about Christmas gift-giving on Halloween or you’re still weeks away from giving it a thought, I can help. I love sharing gift ideas in November because I’m convinced it makes for a happier December. As you might guess, since this is #familyhistoryfriday, all the gift ideas here are family-related. Today I’ll share gift ideas for the whole family, and in coming weeks I’ll share ideas for kids, teenagers, and adults. Since they’re all family-related, though, ideas you’ll see in all of November’s #familyhistoryfriday posts can easily be gifts for the whole family, too.
Family History or Genealogy Gifts
Whether you are new at learning your family history or an experienced genealogist, here are some great ideas for the whole family to get to know their ancestors and see how they’re all connected.
- You can create a 7-generation pedigree chart on a wall canvas
- a life story book–yourself or a parent, grandparent or ancestor (These make wonderful gifts because they connect generations!)
- I have to say, I adore this idea. These are blankets made from a family tree fan chart!! Roots Gifts makes these, and there are several styles and colors to choose from.
- Family Tree Prints (pictured) is a great option for creating your own family tree chart to save as a high-resolution JPEG file for printing. And they’ve given us something special, just for Evolve readers! Order before November 10, 2017, and you get 15% off when you enter coupon code HERITAGEMAKERS –how great is that?! They have suggestions for printing here, or you can do what I’m doing with a wrapped canvas.
- These are nice family tree charts you can fill in by hand: family history tree chart and branches-themed genealogy chart poster
- 300 Questions to Ask Your Parents (book)
- 15-generation single pedigree chart (I have one of these–they are so neat!)
Thanks to Aleah Ingram of LDS Bookstore for some of these great ideas.
Family Members Away from Home
For family members spending holidays away from home, heart-warming gifts are especially appreciated. Think about turning your family traditions into something you can mail. Last year, my son stayed at college for Thanksgiving (because his break was so short, and he was coming home for a month the following week anyway). We made him a box of “Thanksgiving dinner.” We sent instant mashed potatoes, sticks of turkey jerky, apple pie cookies, a package of biscuit mix, etc. I’m sure he’d be the first to tell you that it wasn’t a real Thanksgiving dinner, but he loved the box because he knew we were thinking about and loving him from far away.
Here are a few other ideas for great gifts to send family members who are away from home:
- send a fold-able Christmas tree (a poster, really–so cool)
- a recipe book of favorite family recipes
- quote bundles from The Gifty Girl have “thoughts of the day” to brighten the day
Around the House
Did you have a special event in your family this year? Do you live far away from cousins or grandparents? Home decor is a simple way to showcase special photos or keep faraway family members close. From gallery-wrapped canvases to metal prints and posters, creating your own home decor with family photos is a beautiful, meaningful gift.
Other gift ideas for the whole family that they can see or use every day include:
- pillows, puzzles, or towels with favorite photos
- a playing card deck with family photos
- family calendars (or this cool one that you tear off to make a 12×12 scrap page from each month)
More Ideas to Come
I’ve done a lot of looking and asking around to find some great family-oriented gift ideas to share with you this month on #familyhistoryfriday. (Here’s one for history buffs: a book and CD of the Nativity story experienced by those in the ancient Americas) I’m looking forward to sharing many family-oriented gifts, things (and experiences) that create connections and family interaction. Next week’s post will have ideas for kids. See you then.
- DIY Home Decor. Wise, Jennifer.. (2017). Pinterest. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/jenniferwisehm/diy-home-decor/
- Heritage Makers. (2017). Pinterest. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/511721576402120840/
- Heritage Makers. (2017). Pinterest. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/511721576402121200/
- Heritage Makers. (2017). Pinterest. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/511721576402121394/
- Heritage Makers. (2017). Pinterest. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/511721576402121402/
- LDS Bookstore. (2017). Retrieved from https://ldsbookstore.com/a-book-of-mormon-christmas
- LDS Bookstore. (2017). Retrieved from https://ldsbookstore.com/branches-genealogy-chart
- LDS Bookstore. (2017). Retrieved from https://ldsbookstore.com/family-history-tree-chart
- LDS Bookstore. (2017). Retrieved from https://ldsbookstore.com/missionary-christmas-tree-poster-nativity
- LDS Bookstore. (2017). Retrieved from https://ldsbookstore.com/4-generation-custom-genealogy-chart-vanilla-brownie
- LDS Bookstore. (2017). Retrieved from https://ldsbookstore.com/15-generation-pedigree-chart-single
- LDS Bookstore. (2017). Retrieved from https://ldsbookstore.com/300-questions-to-ask-your-parents-before-its-too-late
- The Gifty Girl. (2016). Retrieved from http://www.thegiftygirl.com/fast-frugal-quotebundles-gift-neighbors-co-workers-hard-buy/
- Wise, Jennifer. (2016). You Tube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF7wGxkxJ2o&t=1004s
- Wise, Jennifer. (2017). You Tube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ESMgTPkHM
Latest posts by Jennifer Wise (see all)
- What Do You Tell Yourself About Preserving Pictures that Isn’t True? - October 12, 2018
- Three Ideas for Connecting with Family Members - September 28, 2018
- Fun New Ways to Share Recipes - September 14, 2018