Latest posts by Krista Palo (see all)
- Guest Post at Choosing Wisdom: Environments are Stronger than Willpower - August 10, 2017
- Guest Post at Choosing Wisdom: If It’s Worth Doing, It’s Worth Doing Well - July 20, 2017
- Lori’s Go-To Flank Steak Grilling Sauce - June 28, 2017
Yesterday, Carol Bauer was the guest on Evolve’s podcast Real Life, Real Passion. She is founder of the non-profit organization Garden of Health. Today she share’s with us her recipes for Creamy Carrot and Zucchini Soup and Quick and Easy Zucchini Rounds.
In my conversation with Carol, we discussed many benefits of eating healthy and about how important it is to incorporate fresh produce into our menus. Zucchini is easily found at local grocery stores. Carol also suggested that zucchini is often recommended for beginning gardeners. The two recipes that she chose to share include this highly available vegetable.
Whether you bring them in from your garden or get a little help from the store, these two easy recipes will help put veggies on your table.
Creamy Carrot and Zucchini Soup
This recipe was used as a sample at one of Carol’s local food pantry’s and it was a big hit!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium zucchini finely diced or shredded
- 2 medium carrots finely diced or shredded
Melt the butter and add the onions. Sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the flour and stir until combined, cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Add in the zucchini and the carrots, reduce the heat, and simmer stirring frequently for about 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
If you would like to watch Carol’s video about making this soup, you can view it here.
*Carol originally found the recipe at Hot Eats and Cool Reads: Creamy Zucchini and Carrot Soup
This recipe is super quick and easy. It only requires three ingredients: zucchini, marinara sauce, and mozzarella cheese. If you didn’t want to heat up the house with the oven in the summer, these could even be made in a pan.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
Slice the zucchini into thick rounds (1/4 inch) and arrange on a baking sheet.
Top each round with sauce and then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Bake or broil just until the cheese is melted.
What’s in your garden?
- Garden of Health. (2016). Facebook. Retrieved from https://www.facebook.com/Gardenofhealthnonprofit/videos/533262413542403/
- Garden of Health. (2017). Retrieved from http://gardenofhealthinc.org/
- Hot Eats and Cool Reads. (2014). Retrieved from http://www.hoteatsandcoolreads.com/2014/03/creamy-zucchini-and-carrot-soup-recipe.html